Meal Applications

Turn in Applications to:

For the most rapid processing of your Free & Reduced Meal Application, please apply online at right.

Or you may return a completed paper application to the Cafeteria Assistant or School Office at your school site.

One application per household please.

Meal Applications

Free and Reduced Price Meals are available to families who believe they may qualify. If your family chooses to apply, please use the link below to apply online. If you don't have access to the internet, please contact the Food Service Office (916-933-2333 ext 1247 or 530-677-2277 ext 1247 and request a paper "Reduced Meal Price Application Form." The completed form may be returned to any school office or mailed to the Food Service Office,  4561 Buckeye Road, Shingle Springs, Ca 95682. We cannot accept faxed copies.  You will be notified by mail of your child's status. Until notification you must provide your child with a lunch or lunch money.

Free and Reduced Online applications will be available starting July 25, 2020!

Apply Online Here

 Only complete one application per family. The information you give will be used to determine or prove your child's eligibility for free or reduced-priced meals. This information may also be used for other state or federally funded school benefits.

Factors considered in the application process are household size and total household income. HOUSEHOLD SIZE is considered all persons, related or unrelated: Including parents, children, grandparents who live in your home and share living expenses DO NOT INCLUDE FOSTER CHILDREN.

The TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME is the income each household member received last month before taxes - this includes wages, social security, pension, unemployment, welfare, child support, alimony, and any other cash income.

Foster Children - In certain cases, foster children are eligible for free and reduced-price meals regardless of your income. If you have foster children living with you and want to apply for them, please contact us.

Civil Rights Procedures

The following procedures shall be used to address all complaints that allege discrimination. Any individual may file a written complaint of alleged noncompliance.

A complaint may be filed by a person who alleges that he/she personally suffered unlawful discrimination or by a person who believes that an individual or any specific class of individuals has been subjected to unlawful discrimination.

The complaint shall be presented to the compliance officer who shall maintain a log of complaints received. If a complainant is unable to put a complaint in writing due to conditions such as a disability or illiteracy, Buckeye Union District Office staff shall assist him/her in filing the complaint.

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call 866-632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9420, by fax 202-690-7442 or email at [email protected] Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339; or 800-845-6136 (Spanish).

Fair Hearing Procedures

When a person feels that there has been an error regarding the processing of their application, they can contact the Nutrition Services Director. If the complaint can not be resolved at this level the Nutrition Services Director will set up a meeting with the district’s compliance officer to review the application.